New footpath signage

Yesterday I noticed that these footpath stickers have been added to the paths at all the intersections in Beaumont Street in Hamilton. They are signed as “An initiative of the City of Newcastle”. An acknowledgement that there are many dangers to unaware pedestrians on the roads, no doubt.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to New footpath signage

1. Stuart says:

Apparently they are meant to mark “smart” walking routes in the city at night. Though this is not obvious from anything they’ve put on the stickers. Every other comment I’ve heard about them is similar to yours, “I didn’t know I was walking silly”.

I hadn’t heard anything about those stickers until I saw them, I thought it was to warn pedestrians not to text while walking.

2. Mark MacLean says:

Is it anything to do with the awareness program about being careful walking home from pubs? I think there was some campaign targeting drunks because so many were getting hit or nearly hit as they staggered off the pavement. But then, someone with a skinful is hardly likely to notice a little sticker on the floor!

That would make Beaumont St a prime target for these stickers then. Has anyone seen them in Darby St, I haven’t been there for a while?

3. Gus Potts says:

I had a similar reaction to others when first seeing them.

It seems to be more about safety in numbers + surveillance+ lighting to protect us from the boogyman than specifically a ‘don’t get hit by cars because it is your fault’ campaign. Still, I agree the stickers are ambiguous and pointless.

Perhaps you should promote a photo competition of people walking as stupidly as possible over the stickers.

Gusto

Thanks for that info Gus, I saw some of them in Hunter St the other day and I just might run that competition too, great idea!