We asked The New Recyclist to look at the Peugeot mixte for his opinions on what needed doing to it, due to his expertise in all things regarding vintage bicycling and restoration and his interest in this particular project.
- servicing all the bearings i.e. steering head, front and rear wheels, bottom bracket
- fitting a washer to the rear R.H. skewer (the skewer had broken off soon after purchase and been replaced with a titanium one which does not fit quite right)
- replace chain, brake pads and levers(the brake levers are plastic, have become brittle and could break at any minute), cotter pins and kick stand
- dismantle and clean the bolt-up chainwheels
- clean up the pie plate then decide whether to keep it, on a bike like this it does provide a function due to the nature of the gear change mechanism
A close up of the front wheel with the junior mechanic …De-rusting the frame and chrome work and decide on the finish after it is properly rideable, at the moment a look where the Peugeot decals are kept and a chromed finish is used for the frame may be what we aim for.