1980s Bennett restoration – the next step

I have begun the dismantling and clean up of the Bennett. It is the first time I have dismantled a bike this far and I am thoroughly enjoying the process of taking parts off it and cleaning, polishing and servicing them. I’ve used WD40, then wet alfoil, on the chromed parts and various grades of wet and dry paper on the alloy parts which, after a bit of experimentation, has proven to be the most effective way of achieving the best shine.

The rear wheel rim came up much better than the front one due to the protection afforded it by chain grease.

I am pushing the boundaries of my mechanical expertise here and will not completely dismantle the bike to paint it, but will tape it up for the spray paint job. I considered breaking the chain but was persuaded by the owner of my local bike shop that this is a job for experts and not to attempt it. I will, however, grease the front wheel bearings as it needs to be done and is a job I can manage.

This entry was posted in Bennett, Restoration, Vintage bikes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 1980s Bennett restoration – the next step

1. Greg says:

Off to a good start! Any decision on the paint colour yet?

Looking good. Why can’t you break the chain if you have a chain tool? Aren’t you going to replace it anyway? I’ve never completely taken apart a bike like this. Amazing.

The chain looks OK Annie, the bike shop man said it was too tricky for me to do when I went to get the tool, I’m not sure if I believe him now ….

Yes, and I’ve already bought the rattly can to do it with, it is frosted black. I haven’t taped up the bike yet as I don’t want it to be taped for days waiting for this rain to stop!

4. Greg says:

For inspiration a beautifully restored Bennett painted in “black” can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/benatherton/6075724758/
    This bike is a newer model than our bikes (probably mid to late 80s) and the decals are different. If your interested I have a template for printing these decals (downloaded a few years ago). However I can’t seem to find the original link so I’ll search again later.

I also note that there a few old Bennett roadies 4 sale on ebay at the moment, including a replica of mine at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bennett-racer-27-rare-FF-system-P-up-Canberra-Yass-/330717078808?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item4d00462518

I’d seen that restoration before, Greg, when I first did a search on Bennetts. I will lose the decals but I still have the sticker from the seat tube and I think I’ll put that back on as it’s in nearly perfect condition, I’ll see how it looks then, thanks for the offer though, I may take it up.

5. Greg says:

If you do decide to put decals on I found the link – http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26127

6. Greg says:

Hmmm, I’m not a member but it works for me. Maybe try that site again later. Alternativelty try a Flash Cycles Decals search (for the Bennett decals go down the page).

The link did work for me this time, and the decals look great, thanks for posting the link, I’m still not sure if I’ll use them yet though.