Is skateboarding the new way to get to school?

Yesterday I saw two boys skateboarding to school. It is fast, very safe on the separated bike track, good exercise and they have the added bonus that once they are at school, they can carry the board with them and possibly use it during the day to get around at school.Image

Crossing at the lights? No problems, just step on the back of the board, grab it as it flicks up and keep walking, one easy seamless movement …Image

I saw several commuters in Sydney on skateboards, using them on the paths and the roads to get to work wearing business attire. Skateboards may no longer be just the domain of kids anymore ….

This entry was posted in bicycle culture, Street cyclist and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Is skateboarding the new way to get to school?

1. Leigh says:

Well I’m 65 and it might be a bit late to lean to ride a skateboard. I think I’ll stick to riding my Bennett.
    My Bennett is red like yours {only a Mixte frame] … looks like the same age… looking forward to seeing yours up and running… happy riding

A Bennett mixte! How cool! I agree that 65 is a little late to learn to ride a skateboard, I gave up riding mine at around 16 after I had a fall, no bad injuries thankfully, just a few stitches, but I don’t want to repeat it.

I mostly see college kids getting around on skateboards.

4. Greg says:

I’m in my late 40s. I still have a skateboard from the late 70s but not game to ride it anymore. A guy in our street is also in his late 40s and rides his often. I was out the front comparing skateboards with him a few weeks ago. We agreed that our all time favourite board, that many from our age group learnt to ride on, was the iconic “surfa sam” (http://www.surfasam.net/). Afterwards my wife asked what we were discussing and had a great laugh 🙂

Annie, great to hear it is not just there that they are being used, I think they are a great way to get around if you have the balance and skills.
      Greg, my skateboard would have predated yours, it was made from a rollerskate screwed to a piece of wood. From memory, I traded a skate for the piece of wood with the kids who lived up the street and we made matching skateboards. They went pretty fast too and we lived in a street where there was little traffic and was newly resurfaced – halcyon days! Wonderful to hear of a 40+ year old still riding a skate board too.

5. Karen says:

I see college kids getting around by skateboard almost as much as by bike. An inexpensive way to get around and fun, or so it seems. Naturally, I am too concerned about a closed head injury to give it a try myself.