The Georgetown Juggernaut

photo 2This handmade cargo bike by Michael Newton has undergone considerable upgrades since it was first built in 2012. I first saw it at Bike Hour 2012, a bit over 2 years ago. At that time, there were very few cargo bikes in Newcastle, to my knowledge the Juggernaut was only the second one and it made a very big impression at the gathering of bike minded people on the Foreshore.  Here is a link to the video Michael made of the event, with footage of the bike near the end …

The Juggernaut has since undergone a transformation to incorporate the formidable unfolding picnic table, which attracted picnicking crowds, and a new paint job which was so new that I could still smell the fresh paint at the Tweed Ride last Sunday!photo 1

See it again here in all its tweed glory!

IMGP1021

Image credit: a new recyclist

Amd here, showing the other side of the box with Michael’s avatar, as well as his daughter’s very gorgeous bike …

7 Responses to The Georgetown Juggernaut

1. Michael says:

I can’t take the credit for actually building it. That was mostly my uncles and dad: http://showbag.tumblr.com/post/89055835962/adult-supervision-preparing-the-juggernaut-for
    I showed them pictures of what I wanted and passed them beers at the appropriate times. I did paint it, however.

It is indeed a fabulous bike! Did you give them detailed specifications for geometry Michael? You’re lucky to have such talented men in your family.

• Michael says:

There were no detailed specs or measurements, we’d never actually seen a real bakfiets in the flesh before we started. The donor bikes dictated the geometry and the cargo area is so big because the steel tube comes in 3m lengths so we made it 1mx0.5m to avoid cutting. Everything is scavenged except the seat, the steel tube and some components I had to buy for the 7 speed hub someone gave me. I also had the wheel built around that hub and bought a brake cable for a tandem to use on the front brake. It’s a work in progress.

• Laurent says:

Hi Michael,
      I visited your blog with lot of beautiful and sophisticated pictures: its seems you make photos like a painter. I appreciate this kind of poetry. I bet you’re a friend of clouds.
      Best,

• Michael says:

Thank you very much! I’m glad you liked it. I’ve not thought much about it before, but I think I would consider myself a friend of clouds.

I’ve added another picture to this post, showing the other side of the box, which was sent to me by Peter, the New Recyclist.